Mayor, MacArthur Aide Predict Cambridge Trip

Both Claim General Expressed Plans for Visit to Harvard To Receive Honorary Degree

Cambridge and Harvard will probably extend the welcome mat to General MacArthur near Commencement Day, the Mayor of Cambridge and one of the General's aides have announced in the past tow days. Both stated they believe MacArthur will request the Honorary Doctor of Laws degree which was conferred on him in 1946 by the University.

Mayor Edward A. Crane '35 received a wire yesterday from New York Mayor Vincent Impellitteri which stated that if the General tours New England, "he will place Cambridge on his itinerary." Crane stated last night to the CRIMSON that MacArthur will visit Cambridge "on or before Commencement Day."

One of MacArthur's aides, Colonel Laurence E. Bunker '26, announced Wednesday in San Francisco that "the General has placed a high priority on his visit to Harvard, in his list of things to be dome on his arrival in the United States."

Bunker mentioned that MacArthur hopes to visit the University to receive his honorary degree. MacArthur regrets that he was unable to receive the degree five years ago, Bunker added. Honors of this type are usually given at Commencement.

Another honor came to MacArthur in 1946 when the City of Cambridge named a Square for him, Mayor Crane stated. He plans to ask the General upon his arrival to place a wreath on the Square. "What I would like," added the Mayor, "is a combined Cambridge-Harvard observance of the General's visit."

Crane had extended an official invitation to the General Tuesday afternoon, in wires to Mayor Impellitteri and San Francisco's Mayor Elmer Robinson.

Meanwhile, a man in Central Square yesterday began selling MacArthur buttons.