Preacher, Teacher

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In an editorial last Thursday the CRIMSON let it be known that there was a committee, headed by Provost Buck, studying the problem of religion at Harvard. The CRIMSON objected to this committee's proposals. The CRIMSON ought to have waited until the committee had issued its report. Then the student body could have known exactly what these proposals were, and the CRIMSON might have based its objections on information.

The CRIMSON made some counter-proposals. One of them was that the General Education course on religion should be taught by a layman "who represents the religious view without representing a particular sect, or even a particular religion. The CRIMSON might as well have asked for a man who represents the economic view and not any particular sect, on the grounds that it would be "an imposition on the free student" if the College hired a Socialist or a Keynesian. But a real imposition on the free student would be to refuse to hire someone because he was ordained. In any field a man who believes in one theory can still present the other side. Moreover, a man who believes in something will have something to teach. I do not want professors who are disinterested. And anyhow, where does the CRIMSON propose to find a religious teacher who believes in religions in general? Irvan T. O'Cononell '52

The CRIMSON'S information concerning the report of the committee on religion was obtained from completely reliable sources. We felt that it was important that students be apprised of developments, both through news stories and editorials, while there was still an opportunity for student opinion to have some effect on the committee's deliberations.

As to the second point, we agree that there is an analogy between economic and religion. Just as the University does not hire an economics professor because he advocates a certain way of thinking, so it should not hire a minister to teach a class because he advocates a certain religion. We feel the criterion for selection in both cases should be knowledge of the field.