Pi Eta Returns to Pre-War Theatrical Tradition May 11

Pi Eta Club will stage its first public theatrical production since before the war when it presents an adaptation of Moliere's "A Doctor in Spite of Himself," beginning May 11.

The first two performances will be reserved for graduate and undergraduate members, with public performances scheduled for May 14 through 19. All performances will be held in the Pi Eta Theatre, 1 Winthrop Square.

Moliere's comedy has been adapted from the French by playwright Harry Behn '22, a member of Pi Eta while an undergraduate here. Directing the show will be Jim O'Neil '53, who handled the Harvard Dramatic Club's recent production of "Dark of the Moon."

Help from Comedie Francaise

The club has contacted La Comedie Francaise in Paris, which has agreed to send appropriate posters, programs, and manuscripts to be used as part of the lobby display. According to Pi Eta officials, this marks the first time La Comedie Francaise has associated itself with an American college acting group.

The lead role in the show, Sganarelle, will be played by Silas Bunce '52. The remaining male roles have not been assigned as yet.

Three Radcliffe students--Marie-Beth Walsh '53, Arline Seig '51, and Mary Faigle '53--will act in the play, while a fourth, Mary Arnold '53, will do the choreography. This marks the first time in Pi Eta theatrical history, which dates back to 1880, that women have taken part in its productions.

"The Doctor in Spite of Himself," like many other of Moliere's plays, satirizes the medical profession of his day.