Food Portions Drop, Prices Rise at Cowie

Board Charge Will Not Change; Cost by Coupons Increases; One Cup of Coffee Limit Set

Increased rates and decreased portions will be the rule in Cowie Hall this year as the University continues to battle the trend of rising food prices.

Students will be forbidden to take more than one glass of milk and one cup of coffee, or two glasses of milk. There will be no enforcement system for this new rule, but students will be on honor to limit their consumption.

The basic board rate of $14 a week will remain the same. But transients and students who do not sign on for board will find themselves paying anywhere from $1.05 to $1.30 for dinner, depending on the quality of the meal.

This represents a basic change in University policy. Until now the University has charged the same for all dinners, roast beef or chipped beef regardless.

The charge for lunch will go from $.80 to $.85, but breakfast will remain the same at $.65.

The new rates and restrictions will also be in effect at the Harkness Commons graduate center. No changes have as yet been made in the College's board rate, but William A. Heaman, director of University Dining Halls, indicated yesterday that some money-saving measures may have to be put into operation if prices continue to rise.

The original budget for Cowie Hall this year showed an expected deficit of $22,000, and consequently the University decided to raise transient rates. Female guests of Business School students, however, will pay the old rates of $.65 for breakfast, $.80 for lunch, and a flat $1.05 fo all dinners.