University Press to Publish More of Roosevelt Letters

Theodore Roosevelt's letters from his first term as President will be published this fall by the University Press. Other new Press books include one by former Supreme Court Justice Owen J. Roberts, two on Communist China, two on the Middle East, and analyses of Andre Gide and Lloyd George.

The Roosevelt letters cover the period from 1901 to 1905 when he won the Presidency on his own. The correspondence covers the labor troubles in the coal mines, the extension of the American interests abroad, and the dealings with Russians and Japanese over the Peace of Portsmouth. These letters are in two volumes, "The Square Deal," which is the second set to be issued.

The whole T. R. correspondence will cover eight volumes, publication of which will be finished by 1953. Edited by Elting E. Morison '32, an M.I.T. professor, the series started with two books last spring on the "Years of Preparation."

Scheduled for early fall publication is Justice Roberts' "The Court and the Constitution," which is the printed form of the Oliver Wendell Holmes Lectures he gave at the Law School last January.

Discusses Three Areas

Roberts discusses three areas in which both the states and federal governments have power--taxation, regulation, and due process. He examines the original constitutional provisions and the nature of the Supreme Court's interpretation. In general, the Roberts book sees the Court as an aid to the development of centralization and the broadening of federal over state power.

The two new books on China are the "Documentary History of Chinese Communism" and "Chinese Communism and the Rise of Mao." The former contains 40 translated documents showing the evolution of Chinese Communist thought.

Introductory Book

A preliminary volume, "The Near East and the Great Powers," contains an introduction by Ralph Bunche and a series of articles explaining the Arab world. The University Press is also publishing the latest in its American Foreign Policy Library, "The United States and Turkey and Iran."

Already out is Associate Professor Albert J. Guerard's "Andre Gide." In the appendix, Guerard publishes two letters from Gide who read a preliminary version of the book. During the fall a biography of Lloyd George will be printed, written by Thomas Jones, who was deputy secretary of the British Cabinet during his premiership.

Two assistant professors of Government are having books published this fall. Robert G. McCloskey's "American Conservatism and the Age of Enterprise" analyzes the post-Civil War period through the personalities of Andrew Carnegie, William Graham Summer, and Supreme Court Justice Stephen J. Field. Arthur Maass' "Muddy Waters" discusses the Army Engineer Corps and its relation to the entire U.S. conservation program.

A series of Economics professors have completed an evaluation of the late Joseph A. Schumpeter, George F. Baker Professor of Economics. Under the editorship of Seymour E. Harris '20, the book is called "Schumpeter, Social Scientist" and contains pieces by Alvin H. Hansen, Edward S. Mason, Paul A. Samuelson, Edward H. Chamberlain, and David McCord Wright.

A recent alumnus will have a book published this fall; Stephen M. Schwebel '50 began his "The Secretary General of the United Nations" as an undergraduate thesis.