3 Professors Deny Backing Chinese 'Reds'; McKay Deplores Accusations

Says Washington Might Become Sensitive to Those 'Tainted' Even if Testimony Is Absurd

Continuous accusations levelled in Washington against people connected with Harvard might make it difficult or unpleasant for people from the University to go to government jobs, Donald C. McKay, professor of History suggested last night.

McKay is chairman of the International and Regional Studies program which trains many graduate students interested in State Department work.

Referring specifically to the charges made against professors Fairbank, Reischauer, and Emerson he said, "In Washington this sort of thing can be embarrassing. There are all sorts of people who will be loath to take people who have any taint at all, no matter how ridiculous."

McKay was sure that men "who have as clear a record" as the three University professors named, would ultimately be rid of any taint in Washington once there was an investigation.

He did warn, though, that citizens in the country might take the charges more seriously than a skeptical and alert university community.

McKay also feared that if investigations of the McCarran sort go on long enough, students will pause before entering government service. He said though that his program hadn't noticed anything of that sort yet.