Crimson Plays Purple in Lowenstein's Finale

Polished Holy Cross Squad Is Heavily Favored Over Local Team in Stadium

By Hiller B. Zobel

Most College students will see their first 1951 football game today, and Captain Carroll Lowenstein will play in his last, when the varsity takes on a powerful Holy Cross team in the Stadium at 2:30 p.m. This, the opening game for the Crusaders, will be the last home contest before the Army arrives, three weeks from now.

As far as most Crimson rooters are concerned, the Army has already moved in, taking with it Lowenstein, the 150-pound tailback whose passing is not only very good, but whose courage and spirit are superb.

The Malden Mite, whose passing style had to be altered three years ago because he threw too fast a pass for his ends to catch, will leave for the Army on Wednesday.

Injury Won't Defer Him

His ankle, broken last Spring and still not mended, will not gain him a rejection, although it still troubles him so much that he has not been able to shape up. Even his passing has been affected. But he'll start his final game today.

Crusader Coach Eddie Anderson, who has never lost to Harvard, brings 56 players with him--34 offensive, 22 defensive--and Crimson Coach Lloyd Jordan frankly expects to be "out-platooned."

"We can't even match them in sheer manpower," he said.

Jordan has had reports of the Purple's scrimmages against Syracuse, none of them, apparently, encouraging.

"Not only will they have terrific passing from Maloy," he said, "but they seem to have running strength outside and up the middle, too."

All-American?

Maloy's first name is Charlie; he came up last year as one of the Cross's hottest quarterback prospects ever. His performance over the 1950 season would seem to justify the label.

Both the Crimson and the Crusaders have been stressing pass defense in practice all week. Jordan has thrown several of Anderson's quarterback-pass plays against his first string offense, while the Holy Cross coach has shown signs of worry over Lowenstein and Dick Clasby.

From his spot under the center of the Purple T. Maloy will be able to direct one of the East's better running attacks, Captain Mel Massucco and John Turco are the "strength outside," with fullback Bob Doyle a more-than-capable "up the middle" runner.

Jordan's problem, surprisingly enough, has been how much of his offense to reveal. He could logically limit the Crimson attack in order to save something for the League game with Columbia next week.

"No," says Jordan, "we won't hold anything back."

At least the Crimson is in fine shape, so that the offensive teams which will go against the Purple will be the best Jordan has. Fred Ravreby is again at the right end spot. His height and agility should help strengthen that position. Left end Paul Crowley, of course, is the best wingman on the squad.

Jordan's decision to use John Culver at fullback is a gamble. The big sophomore is easily the hardest runner on the squad, but Tom Ossman is a better blocker, and much more experienced. Culver's power, though, is too valuable an offensive weapon to be relegated to substitute duty.

Another tough question faces Jordan when he tries to decide who to play at tailback. As he himself has admitted. Dick Clasby is a better player at this point than the battered Lowenstein. But the Little Captain still has a fine throwing arm. And this is his final game.

From any angle, the only hope for the Crimson lies in rain (which has been predicted) to equalize the difference plus a couple of early scoring breaks. As to the chances of the Crimson in a rainstorm; well, it rained last year, too.Captain of what may be one of Holy Cross's outstanding football teams, right halfback MEL MASSUCCO was the squad's leading ground-gainer last season.