Once Weak Crusaders Begin Promising Year

Some Experts Predict Eastern Championship for Holy Cross Eleven; Massucco Paces Team

By Hiller B. Zobel

One Stadium ticket--once found by the courts of Massachusetts to be a revocable license--can today be a veritable charmed passport. For Holy Cross is the opposition this afternoon, and the Crusaders, "loaded" last season, are this year overflowing. Anybody sitting in on today's proceedings will see the start of what probably will be one of the Purple's finest seasons. So strong is the advance reputation of Eddie Anderson's boys that the sometime experts have hinted of an Eastern championship.

Eighth Season, Second Term

The good Dr. Anderson--currently in his eighth season, and second term, at Mount St. James--isn't quite so sure. He warns of the dangers of overconfidence, and of the need to "play 'em one at a time." But even Anderson--a genuine M.D., by the way--must admit that the renacesent Purple squad, only two years ago a 1-9 outfit, is at least potent.

So good do the Crusaders look that Anderson has decided not to use his newly-eligible freshmen against either Brown or Harvard. Ostensible reason for this is that neither of these Ivy League schools permits freshmen to compete. Actually Anderson could be motivated by a desire to keep the score reasonable and preserve two valuable rivalries--and the rivals, as well.

Every position on the team is well-stocked, and mostly with lettermen, only eight of whom graduated; 23 returned. Captain Mel Massucco, for instance, is the nominal starting right halfback. But close behind him are two lettermen, John Cullity and Mike Zinkiewicz.

Massucco, a baffling runner, was good for more than seven yards on each offensive play. He punts, too, at an average of 39.1 yards a try. In fact, Captain Mel could be called the kingpin of the club, were it not for Charlie Maloy, the East's top passer. Maloy can throw a football farther than anybody who will play in the Stadium this year, and he runs the Holy Cross T with finesse and shrewdness.

Maloy is such a fine quarterback that the Crusaders have been able to take both of last year's freshman signal-callers and shift them to halfback. These two, Pete Biocca and Don Jolie, also long pitchers, are battling veteran Paul Gallo for the second-string left half post behind Johnny Turco. Turco played all last year with an injured shoulder, but still managed to lead the squad with 17 touchdowns.

The freshman team provided more good reserve strength at fullback where "Terrible Tony" Parisi offers excellent replacement for Bob Doyle. Doyle has been the starter for two seasons, during both of which everyone has called his 180 pounds "too light" for a college fullback. But, undeterred by it all, Doyle keeps pounding up the middle; last year he was number two ground-gainer.

In front of all this offensive talent, Anderson has had no trouble making up a powerful, experienced line. Every starter is a letterman with the exception of 200-pound sophomore tackle Mike Cooney, a strongman who teams perfectly with the other tackle, "Jack the Giant" Feltch, a frail 230-pounder. Behind these, the Crusaders have three letter-winners, including such familiar and effective operators as Vic Rimkus and Tony Staryzinski.

Big and Rough

The other linemen are generally big, often fast, and without exception rough. Tom McCann is the outstanding end, and a frequent receiver of Maloy's tosses. His partner, Joe Mikutowicz, is only average. Starting guards George Foley and Chet Millett know the football picture well, but the surprise of the squad may turn out to be Jim Buonopane, an intelligent untrappable man who captained the freshmen last year. In the center of the line, Joe Gleason and Dick Murphy, both lettermen, are likely to be as tough as any the Crimson will meet. The Crimson-Crusader series stands at Harvard 17 wins, 7 losses, 1 tie. Recent scores are: Harvard  Holy Cross 1946  13  6 1947  7  0 1948  20  13 1949  22  14 1950  7  26