Senator Advises Political Careers For All Lawyers

"Every man should run for office once in his life," was the advice of Senator Paul H. Douglas (D.IH.) to a crowd of 350 at his talk on "The Lawyer in Government and Politics" at Langdell Hall Court room yesterday afternoon.

The Senator pointed out that a lawyer endangers his career much less by entering politics than men in other professions and occupations Serving one's own community is the best method for breaking into public life, Douglas said

After citing several advantages which come from office-seeking, he went into some detail on the many pitfalls in which the politician can fall. Douglas discussed recent government scandals, and suggested that such incidents could have been avoided if lawyers had a wide range of clients and avoided "questionable associates" and if bureaus established definite procedures and criteria.

His address was the second in a series of five sponsored by the Harvard Student Bar Association.

Douglas referred specifically to abuses in the Securities Exchange Commission, the Federal Communications Commission and the Reconstruction Finance Corporation. He was a member of the Falbright Committee which recently investigated the latter organization.