Counter punch

An ominous buildup of Communist forces on the Indo-Chinese border, coupled with Mr. Vishinsky's threats of "events taking there place" in Southeast Asia, emphasize the possibility of Korean-type aggression in that area. But unlike the situation in June 1950, both the United Nations and Allied military leaders are fortunately preparing to counter possible aggression before it engulfs them.

The most significant step in this preparation was a United Nations Political Committee recommendation that member nations maintain special elements of their armed forces suitable for use by the UN. This enables the UN to face any aggressor with a rapid buildup of deterrent strength. And in a more specific military move, six nation talks began in Washington last Friday to discuss military contributions of armed forces to Southeast Asia. These preparations insure that the United Nations will not be caught napping if a Chinese Communist invasion materializes in Indo-China.

But a UN observation mission should also be dispatched to that area now to investigate the reports of troop concentrations and airfield construction. Such a mission would act as an impartial collective witness to any actual invasion, enabling it to cut through the inevitable flurry of charges and counter-charges.