Douglas Praises Kefauver; Warns of Campaign Costs

Feels That Tennessee Senator Has Better Victory Chance Than Truman's Man, Vinson

Senator Paul H. Douglas (D-Ill.) virtually came out for Senator Estes Kefauver (D-Tenn.) as his choice for the Democratic presidential nomination last Saturday in an exclusive interview with the CRIMSON. At the same time, Douglas reiterated that he would not accept the nomination, but left the door open for future presidential elections.

After fixing up the candidates of his party, the Senator stated, "I think Senator Kefauver is the best candidate the Democrats have today."

He said that the public associates Kefauver with stamping out crime and corruption. This would be a definite asset to the Democrats, since the Republicans would try to capitalize on Administration scandals.

Douglas also declared that Kefauver's domestic and international views were well known. "He is a strong civil rights man and a backer of an Atlantic Union," he explained.

Vinson Truman's Choice

Douglas said that if President Truman decided not to run, he would have a lot to say in naming a successor. Chief Justice Fred Vinson is Truman's favorite, he said, but not too much of a vote-getter. "Truman dislikes Kefauver less than he dislikes me," the Illinois senator added.

When asked whether the fact that Truman disliked him was one of the reasons he wasn't running, Douglas declined to answer.

Would he consider seeking the presidency in the future? The Senator shrugged his arms upward, smiled broadly, and ventured, "One never knows."

"All I can say," he concluded, "is that in '52, I'm not going to run."