I'll See You in My Dreams

At the Paramount and Fenway

By Stephen Stamatopulos

Clever, sensible dialogue and some fine acting by Danny Thomas rescue this latest Warner Brothers musical from the now familiar formula of stringing a cavalcade of song hits around the life of a famous composer. The songwriter in this case is Gus Kahn who supplied his catchy lyrics for such tunes of the '20's as "Memories," "It Had To Be You," and "Pretty Baby."

Danny Thomas makes the best use of a wide range of facial expressions, playing the lead with refreshing honesty and straightforwardness. Doris Day is around to sing some of the songs as his wife and helps keep things moving through the inevitable cycle of an obscure writer who goes to the top of the music world, then down again, and achieves new success in time for a happy ending.

Helping to overcome some of the over sentimentality is a witty performance by Mary Wickes as a maid who does not like any of her employer's songs. Frank Love-joy is nonchalant enough in the role of a rakish composer who collaborates with Gus Kahn in some of his greatest hits.

"I'll See You In My Dreams" is unique in a couple of ways. It is not in Technicolor, nor does it have a parade of lavish production numbers to dazzle the audience. But pleasant and tuneful songs and a warm, if nostalgic story, make this picture easy to enjoy.