'56 Football Team Downs Worcester Academy, 13 to 0

By David L. Halberstam

The only thing close about the freshman football team's victory over a big Worcester Academy squad at Gaskille Field in Worcester Saturday was the final 13 to 0 score.

For the big, hard-charging Yardling line, in gaining coach Bob Margarita the first win of his two year Harvard freshman career, spent most of the afternoon in the Maroon backfield and allowed the hosts less than 30 yards gained rushing. The two first downs that the losers did get were the result of a short pass and a pitchout midway through the second quarter.

But although Margarita's team gained over 270 total yards for ten first downs, its offense left a lot to be desired. Worcester was able to stop almost every long Crimson drive, once pushing the Yardlings back despite a first and goal to go. The second touchdown, in fact, was the result of a Maroon backfield fumble on the loser's ten yard line.

47 Yards to Score

The Yardlings, stopped after every threat in the first half, once by a 12-man Worcester defense, opened up in the third period. Operating out of a T formation, the Crimson moved 47 yards for a score. Joe Crehore sparked the drive, throwing three important passes, one for a first down to Joe Pettiford on the 28, the last to wingback Dexter Lewis for the final 28 yards and a touchdown. Big Pete Morrison kicked the extra point.

Worcester fumbled on the next play from scrimmage, with five freshmen falling around the ball on the 10. Lewis, on second down fought his way to the three, and on the first play of the fourth quarter, fullback Art Painter plunged over.

It was the first time a Harvard freshman team has won since the opening game of the 1950 season, when the '54 team beat Andover, 13 to 6.