Minister Speaks On 'Adventure' For Adlai's Visit

The minister of the Harvard Square church where Adlai E. Stevenson will attend services tomorrow has switched the topic of his sermon from "How Dangerous is McCarthyism" to "the High Hope of Adventure."

Stevenson, who arrives in Boston today for a major speech in Boston's Mechanics Hall, will come to the First Parish Church (Unitarian) for the regularly scheduled 11 a.m. service.

Mcarthyism Sermon Delayed

Reverend Wilburn D. Miller said yesterday that he plans to delay his sermon on McCarthyism until next week because "I think the Governor has heard as much as he wants about McCarthyism."

"Besides," added Rev. Miller, "I think it would be too much of a coincidence." McCarthy will speak via nation-wide TV on Monday.

Rev. Miller changed his sermon topic after he heard that Stevenson will attend his church with his two sons, John 2nd and Borden Stevenson '55.

The theme of the sermon he will now deliver--"The High Hope of Adventure"--is taken from Alfred Whitehead's "Science in the Modern World."

"Not a Rule of Safety"

Rev. Miller said the sermon came from the following passage: "The worship of God is not a rule of safety. It is an adventure of spirit, a flight after the unattainable, and death comes with the repression of the high hope of adventure."

Except for a few reserved pews, all seats will be open. Stevenson will sit in the minister's pew with his two sons.

After the sermon, Stevenson will attend a rally for Governor Paul A. Dever and Representative John F. Kennedy '40, at the Commander Hotel at approximately 12 noon. The rally will also be open and Stevenson is expected to make a brief address, despite his customary policy of not speaking on Sundays. Then Stevenson will go to Dever's residence on Buckingham St., Cambridge.

Tonight Stevenson speaks at Boston's Mechanics Building at 10:30 p.m.