English Dept. Sets Tutorial

After an unexpectedly large registration in English 10 disrupted the English Department's group tutorial plans, all sophomores and juniors have finally been tucked away into tutorial sections, Herschel C. Baker, associate professor of English, announced yesterday.

Baker said that the difficulty arose when English 10 attracted three times the expected numbers of students. The department had planned to fit sophomore tutorial into English 10 sections.

Working with the original plan, the department managed to divide the sophomores into tutorial sections of five or six men. The only drawback is that each sophomore will receive tutorial only two or three times a term. Non-honors juniors and seniors have sections of about 22 men a week, but some are non-concentrators.

Utilizing professors who would not originally have given tutorial, Baker said that the department has retained individual tutorial for juniors and seniors. "By and large" Baker said, "there's no resentment about it."

Both Baker and Edgar F. Shannon, assistant professor of English, and Head Tutor for the department, said they hoped that the present arrangement can be discarded for something better next year.

"The situation did look quite confusing," Shannon said, "but we all feel now that it really has worked out quite well in view of the problems involved." The professors, who are giving their time, "really wanted to help out the department," he stated.

English 10 was devised to replace English 1, long, the department's standard survey course. Like English 1, the new course is required of all concentrators. Baker is giving the first half, while Walter Jackson Bate, associate professor of English, will teach in the spring.