Council Asks Reopening Of Parietal Rules Issue

Proposal Will Go to Administrative Board; Leighton Sees No Action Until December

By Erik Amfitheatrof

The Student Council revealed last night it has asked Dean Leighton for a complete revision of the present College parietal rules.

Richard E. Johnson '53, Council President, indicated that Dean Leighton now has the Council proposal for reconsideration by the Administrative Board.

The proposal does not ask for a specific increase in the 7 p.m. deadline. It speaks only of the "freedom and responsibility" denied a College student in social life.

Contacted last night, Dean Leighton said, "I don't want to rush the new administrative board right now; the matter is underconsideration, and that's all I can say at this time."

trative board right now; the matter is is under consideration, and that's all I can say at this time."

Leighton added the Administrative Board may not consider the Council's proposal for another month. After a decision by the board, the proposal will come before the next full meeting of the faculty in December.

Johnson declined to predict the chances of an amendment in the rules this year, although he admitted the decentralization of University Hall may have added a new factor.

Under the decentralization, eight Senior Tutors have been added to the Administrative Board. The Council proposal refers to this, saying, "The recent transfer of decanal functions to the Houses, with the resulting closer Senior Tutor-student relationships, should make the implementation of new rules easier."

Last fall the Administrative Board rejected a Student Council proposal asking for an 11 p.m. deadline on Friday and Saturday nights. The faculty upheld the board's decision.

The Council proposal says, "The House at Harvard was designed, among other things, to be a center of undergraduate social life. But because of the present restricted hours when men may entertain women guests in their suites, the Houses are not fulfilling their purpose as well as they could.

"The House suite is a home, and surely it was meant to be used as one. Yet, unless he is a member of certain social clubs, the Harvard undergraduate may not extend hospitality to a woman guest during the evening hours."

Paul D. Sheats '54 and Michael G. Yamin '53 worked with Johnson on the report.

Parietal Rules--1951

Oct. 4: Council President and House Chairmen ask Housemasters to extend Friday and Saturday room privileges to 11 p.m.

Oct. 8: Council unanimously approves petition.

Oct. 17: Housemasters discuss petition, secretly pass it.

Oct. 31: Administrative Board rejects proposals.

Nov. 5: Council asks the Administrative Board to propose alternatives.

Nov. 6: Faculty kills last hope for parietal rule revision for 1951.