Hopper Supports Eisenhower; Calls Him 'Master of Overall Strategy'

Professors on Politics--IX

By J.anthony Lukas

America's mission to "unite and organize the resources and defenses of the Free World" can only be carried out under the leadership of General Eisenhower, according to Bruce C. Hopper, associate professor of Government.

Terming the General "a homeric master of overall strategy, a military administrator, a self-less leader, who could never be controlled by other persons or groups," Hopper says that Ike is the only man capable of achieving unity among our allies. This leadership in the fight against communism, he said, is America's role, "predestined by long-range forces in the history of nations."

"The counter to Bolshevik straegy," he added, "is unity of free nations by pooling their resources in blood and treasure. It is a common job of Coalition-Politics, requiring deep knowledge of political and military strategy. The job requires a Commander-in-Chief in the leading country of the free alliance who can inspire confidence. Such a man is General Eisenhower."

"Leaky Roof"

Hopper admitted that as a candidate, Eisenhower is "out of character, handling unfamiliar weapons." He insists, however, that as Commander-in-Chief he would be "the Eisenhower of the decisive years of the war." He would once again prove himself to be the "first soldier-statesman of the Free World."

Hopper is convinced that a change of party is necessary in order for this country to carry out its mission. He likened American democracy to "a convertible whose body and motor are sound, but whose top leaks because of long exposure and wear." He said that a new top is needed "until it too begins to leak."

"My commanding desire for a change," Hopper said, "is in order to make a fresh start in strategic thinking, to undo insofar as possible, the blunders committed at Teheran, Yalta, and Potsdam." He attributed these mistakes to "untimely export of American good will and superficial understanding of the nature of totalitarian regimes," and added that a "Democratic regime, no matter who the President, would be anchored in the blunders which lost Poland and China to the Free World."

Although he believes that a "fresh start" is necessary, Hopper does not "for a moment believe that a Republican administration could or would change the main lines of our foreign policies."

Hopper feels that the American mission overshadows all other campaign issues. "Events force us to lift our sights from the nation to the civilization level," he said. "I am inclined to get more excited over the dangers in long range directions than over the issues of the campaign, real or artificial, good tempered or scurrilous."

He believes that Eisenhower will properly recognize the importance of this mission and subordinate all lesser issues to it. "It is to be doubted," he explained, "that the goals of the Welfare State and the defense of Western civilization can be attained simultaneously. One will inevitably crowd the other down in our budget during the next decade. It is my belief that the Republicans will slow up the trend toward Big Government and inefficient, swollen bureaucracy, and achieve a more inspiring military posture abroad."

Another over-riding necessity is that of training, says Hopper. He feels that "America has not yet the personnel trained to the world-size job thrust upon the country." But he believes that the Republicans will partly remedy this by "relying more and more on professional diplomatic and military strategists, and less and less on intellectual amateurs, academic or otherwise."

Speaking of Stevenson, Hopper said that he is "obviously a man with a high sense of honor and an attractive sensitive nature." But, he added that we have no knowledge of his "capabilities in a military or strategic sense or of his ability to handle allies."

"Furthermore," he said, "I feel so strongly the categorical imperative of change of regime that I wouldn't even vote for the Angel Gabriel on the Democratic ticket.