Hershey Urges Draft Test for All As Manpower Needs Keep Soaring

Major General Lewis B. Hershey, Director of the Selective Service System, announced yesterday that increasing manpower demands make it imperative that each draft-eligible student who has not taken the Selective Service Qualification Test do so as soon as possible.

Students planning to take the December 4 examination were urged by the Educational Testing Service to register for it immediately.

Although entries do not have to be postmarked until November 1, the Testing Service and Selective Service officials desire knowledge of how many applicants to expect, and stated that "it will be greatly to the sindent's advantage to file his application at once."

This test, the first in the third series, will swell the number of men having taken the examinations to over one-half million. Standings currently deferred on the basis of test scores or class standings number about 190,000.

70 is Passing Mark

The present criteria for deferment as an undergraduate are either a score of 70 percent or higher on the test, or a rank in the upper half of the freshman class, the upper two-thirds of the sophomore class, or the upper three-quarters of the junior class.

Hershey has emphasized many times that the criteris are a flexible yardstick and that the standards may be raised any time deemed necessary to fill manpower requirements.