Local Committee Backs Permit for 'Birth' Showings

"Birth of a Nation" should not be banned tonight, according to Cambridge's official advisers on race relations. At a meeting yesterday afternoon, the Executive Board of the Cambridge Civic Unity Committee decided to recommend to City Manager John J. Curry that the controversial film be licensed for showing.

The Committee's decision is only advisory. Curry will decide today whether to grant the license for the showing to its exibitors, the Liberal Union and the Society for Minority Rights. Carl A. Wagner '53, H.L.U. Film Series Director, and J. Max Bond '55 of the H.S.M.R., will confer with Curry before he makes his decision.

The license was held up when City Hall received some phone calls protesting the exhibition.

Three Steps

The Committee agreed with the three steps proposed by the H.L.U. and H.S.M.R. to counteract any prejudicial effects of the film. These are: a pamphlet on the propaganda aspects, to be distributed to patrons as they enter; a short explanatory speech before the showing; and a questionnaire afterwards to judge the actual effect on the audience. Peter Rossi, assistant professor of Social Relations, will administer the poll.

Closed Showing

Last night, the Committee saw a closed showing of "Birth of a Nation" in Phillips Brooks House. Associate Dean Robert B. Watson and Boston N.A.A.C.P. president Lionel Lindsey were also present. Curry had been invited, but could not attend.