Underdog Varsity Booters Take On Undefeated Yale

By James M. Storey

Yale brings to the Business School field this afternoon its best varsity soccer team in years boasting a season's record of eight wins, two ties, and no losses. But the undefeated Elis may be in for a tough day from a Crimson aggregation which has shown marked improvement in late-season encounters. The game starts at 2 p.m.

Of course, anything can happen in a Harvard-Yale game, but on the strength of comparative records, the Bulldogs are favorites. They defeated Princeton on their home territory last Saturday, 4 to 3, in overtime, a week after the Tigers had nipped Harvard, 2 to 1, in Princeton. Yale has beaten Wesleyan and tied Springfield, both of which defeated the Crimson: and the Elis ran up a 7 to 1 score again Brown in early October, while Harvard just edged the Bruins, 5 to 4, last week.

Jack Marshall's team is rough and high-scoring the Elis have sunk 40 goals to their opponents 15 and uses the same style of short passing as Crimson coach Bruce Munro. Built around Paul Deitsche, one of the best halfbacks in the East, the Elis are hot and cold, but Munro calls them "probably the best team we'll face all year."

But although the Crimson's record is only mediocre four wins, five defeats. two ties--it has won three of its last four games, and goes into today's game with a good chance of ending up with a 500 record for the year.

According to Munro, the team has shown its best short-passing practices all year in the last three days. He has been working on wing plays to keep the ball on the outside away from Deitsche, and with Frank Davies fitting into his new center forward position very well, the attack looks promising. Though regular goalie Roger Taylor was injured against Brown and probably won't play, the game will be held on home ground, and Yale has shown a tendency in later season competition to fall apart in away games.

Seven seniors (none of whom have ever beaten Yale) open for Harvard, with three juniors and one sophomore. Captain Charley Ufford, who has been the best player all season, and Bob Sobel are at their regular fullback posts, with Carey McIntosh (the Crimson's best halfback), Craig Zane, and Bobby Dean the halfback line. Pete Briggs is the goalie.

Berk Johnson and Johnny Beer--tied for the team's leading scorer with five goals each held up the left half of the forward line, with George Baker and Win Knowlton on the other side.

This is the second straight year that Yale has entered the last game heavily favored, but Munro is hopeful--last season the Elis couldn't do a thing until the overtime, and then only just squeaked by the Crimson, 1 to 0. This year it may go the other way