Landlady Claims Professors Teach Left-Wing Beliefs

By Howard L. Kastel

A Cambridge landlady declared last night that University students are being taught communist theories and demanded that the attorney general investigate the Law School.

In a letter to Attorney General Francis M. McGrannery, Mrs. Elizabeth Beaumount of 32 Coolidge Hill Rd. charges that 76 Harvard professors had histories of communist leanings.

"I have had both University and Law School students living in my home for several years, and it is really amazing to hear some of the things these boys believe in. They are completely ignorant that much of it is left-wing propaganda."

Hook, Line, and Sinker

"Harvard students swallow the left-wing propaganda hook, line, and sinker," she added.

Mrs. Beaumont cited a 1949 report of the National Council of American Education headed by Allen Zoll, as the basis for her charge that 76 University professors are affiliated with communist front organizations. The Cambridge housewife is a member of the same council. The same list was used by Cambridge City Councillor John D. Lynch as a basis for a similar attack two years ago.

In the letter, Mrs. Beaumont asked that Herbert Philbrick, former undercover agent for the F.B.I., appear before a federal grand jury to give testimony of communist activity in Massachusetts' colleges.

"Students at Harvard do not evaluate the material they are taught. The result is they are being indoctrinated with much left-wing theory of a color to match Harvard's crimson," she stated. "I believe this is even more true today than when Harvard was turning out Hiss, Jessup, Acheson, the Service Boys, and Lattimore," she concluded in the letter.