Driving Curfew Pushed For Students Under 21

3 Insurance Firms Ask Car Ban at 9 p.m.

Officials of three large Boston insurance companies will try to force all student drivers under 21 the highways after 9 o'clock at night.

In an attempt to cut the zooming stat accident rate, in which young drivers play a major part, the Liberty Mutual, American Mutual, and Employers' Group Insurance Companies will try to introduce a bill in the next session of the state legislature enforcing the curfew for all drivers under 21 years.

If passed, the law would make Wellesley and Simmons accossible by streetcar only, and isolate countless popular high-way eating and entertainment spots after dark

The proposed law would apply to drivers with out-of-state registrations as well as Massachusetts citizens.

Business Would Drop

Massachusetts legislative procedure allows private individuals to petition the legislature on such subjects if one state representative co-sponsors the bill.

William F. Tetrick, General Manager of R. S. Robie, Inc., auto rentors, agreed last night the proposed curfew would cut his Harvard Square business in half. "I don't think it will go through, though," Tetrick said. "It would cause opposition all over the state."

James Arturmo manager of the Harvard Square Garage, said the number of student drivers "would probably not change drastically" if the curfew became effective.

Mmore Student Accidente

"I can see why the companies are mad," Arturmo said. "There are definitely more accidents on student cars, especially after a big weekend. We had ever so many dented fenders after the Yale weekend, and the insurance companies have to pay for them."

State Insurance Commissioner Dennis E. Sullivan said last night the bill had not yet been filed at the State House. Sullivan said he did not know whether the curfew would also apply to students driving to and from the College during vacations.