Council Backs 500 Yard Agitators, Asks Extension of Lamont's Hours

Pressure to keep Lamont Library open seven days a week and until midnight on weekdays increased yesterday as the Student Council voted to support 500 freshman petitioners in their plea to Lamont's director, Philip J. McNiff.

The freshmen had asked McNiff two weeks ago to extend Lamont hours, complaining that they lacked a place in which to study after the library closed.

After surprisingly short debate, the Council announced:

1) We believe the need exists in the College for Lamont Library to remain open after 10 p.m. on weekdays, and on Sundays.

2) That the Student Council appoint a committee to secure this end.

The Council further clarified its action by stating it supports the freshman proposal, backed by the Union Committee, for the benefit of all undergraduates. Unlike the earlier proposal, that of the Council did not specify any particular time in the extension.

Council members Michael G. Yamin '53 and Thomas E. Everhart '53 issued a joint statement. "The College is not recognizing the need of students for a place to study. More emphasis should be placed on spending money for study facilities. Realizing that the University should provide the best possible resources for study, we feel that more time should be made available for these resources to be used."

When presented with the freshman proposal on November 17, McNiff said, "The additional hours proposed would cost the College $30,000. Do 1,000 freshmen want to pay $30 apiece?" He later revised the figure to $20,000. He also argued that Lamont is currently open 75 hours a week, and students who are in class an average of 12 hours can remain in Lamont 63 hours a week if they wish to.