Track Team to Oppose R.I. As New Season Opens Today

By Howard A. Corwin

Depth will battle first place strength when the Crimson track team opens against the University of Rhode Island at 1:30 p.m. today in Briggs Cage. Coach Bill McCurdy hopes the Crimson will have the necessary depth.

To oppose the Rhode Islanders' individual stars, McCurdy will depend heavily on his sophomores. The work horse will be Bob Rittenburg, who will enter the hurdles, broad jump, high jump, and perhaps the relay.

Rhode Island's Bob Ferrara will have the edge in the high jump and broad jump. He has battered 6 feet 4 inches and 23 feet respectively in the two events. In the pole vault, the visitors have two consistent 13 footers in John Goodwin and Paul Linne, whereas the Crimson has only Bob Mello in that range. The Rhodies also have an advantage in the shot put, two mile, and two mile relay.

But in the remaining events, the Crimson's prospects are better. Bob Twitchell and Rittenburg far outclass the visitors in the hurdles, while Twitchell teamed with Herbie Collins and Charlie Arena should net the Crimson at least a first and a second in the sprints.

The 600 should be close, but the Crimson has a depth edge in Pete Coker, Alan Howe, and Paul Grand. Hubie Maguire should take the mile, and Bob Curran the weight. The mile relay will be composed of the all sophomore team of Coker, Howe, Little, and Grand, who should win handily. In the 1000-yard run there have been no comparative times.

McCurdy said yesterday that the Crimson's time trials this week (which were not too good) are not indicative of what the squad can do. He expects better tomorrow, and will need it to win.

***

Following each varsity event, the Yardling squad, which opens next week, will have its time trials.