Skiers Finish Ninth at Hanover; Indians Win Meet, Denver Second

Crimson skiers, after finishing a promising fifth in the cross country event on Friday, slumped to ninth place in a field of ten entrants in the final standing of the week's carnival racing at Hanover.

Dartmouth, the host, won the Carnival with 572.2 points, beating last year's winner, Denver, by 11.1 points. Middlebury, which ended sixth behind Harvard in the cross country, was third with 555.2. Williams, the Crimson's big rival in the intermediate Division, and last year's winner of it, took sixth place, with 489 points.

Although Captain John Houser and Tim Wise finished 18th in the Saturday down-hill and jumping, respectively, after Friday's cross-country and slalom events, the Crimson's low placing came as no surprise to ski team officials. As Coach Graham Taylor pointed out: "We're competing against the finest team in the Mortheast, Dartmouth, and the best team in the West, Denver. We don't have the facilities of these teams, and can't hope to beat them."

Among the many other attractions of the Winter Carnival, spectators saw sophomore Dudley Richards, fifth best male figure skater in the world, exhibit his ability in a skating show put on Friday night.