Fire alarms sent almost 160 girls pouring out of Briggs and Barnard Halls at 8 a.m. Saturday morning. A small fire, caused by an overheated electric motor in the blower system, was localized in the area over the kitchen connecting the two dorms.
Six hook and ladder trucks reached the quadrangle within a few minutes, and quickly had the fire under control. By 8:15 the dormitories were declared safe. As residents of both dorms went in to breakfast, however, some girls expressed regret that they had been rudely awakened for so small a fire.