Lone Star

At Loew's State and Orpheum

By David C. D. rogers

Although M.G.M. employs all the conventional Western gimmicks--Indians, saloons, chases, coincidence, two men and one girl, and some historical background--Lone Star survives the ordeal very well. Because its set in Austin, Texas, in the stormy months prior to Tyler's 1844 annexation of Texas, the stock Western plot receives some borrowed luster.

Clark Gable suavely fills his usual sweaty-chested, he-man role as Dan Burke, a Texan cattleman who "only fights for money." However Ava Gardner as the pert, pretty editor of the "Austin Blade" finally reforms him. Broderick Crawford, although too deadpan, gives a better than average portrayal of the traditional "badman." Gable fights for annexation, Crawford against, and Miss Gardner wavers in between.

Excellent acting by the minor characters--even the Gabby Hayes variety--helps pull Lone Star out of mediocrity. Lionel Barrymore wheezes through the role of General Jackson; it's too bad he is shelved after the first five minutes.

Unfortunately M.G.M. added one final touch--the Hackneyed gimmick of staging a town revolt complete with barricades, having the two rivals fight it out, and finally reforming the "bad-man" in time for a touching finale.

Despite this trite ending, Gable and Miss Gardner combine to make Lone Star entertaining even for those suffering from a surfeit of Westerns. Also at Loew's Louis Haywood staggers through a conventional horror-thriller, The Son of Dr. Jekyll.