'55 Relay Team Misses Record in B.A.A. Meet

Crimson track fanatics sat through a trying night at the Garden Saturday with only the freshman mile relay team able to create much excitement along the B.A.A. gallery.

The freshmen came within 1.3 seconds of breaking Seton Hall's freshman mile relay mark of 3:25.6 set back in 1940. Warren Little, lead-off man opened up a nine yard lead over Tufts and Yale on the first leg and by the time Alan Howe blazed across the finish mark, the Yardlings were almost a half-lap ahead of second place Tufts.

The varsity relay team showed no such class. Ronnie Berman, running in lead-off position, handed a twelve-yard lead to Phil Meyers, but Yale's brilliant sophomore, John Meader, made that up and eight yards to spare with a split of a little over 50 seconds for his quarter.

Bob Mello picked up another tie for third in the pole vault but still was unable to go any higher than 13 feet. Both Bob Twitchell and freshman Bob Rittenberg qualified for the finals of the hurdles. Twitchell, however, was left at the start, while Rittenberg had to settle for fourth place. Dave Gregory stuck with the high-stepping two-mile field for 12 laps, but then began to fade badly.