U.M.T. Group To Form Club, Ask Charter

Distributes Pamphlets Today in First Student Action on UMT, Group Named 'Peace Council'

Distribution of anti-Universal Military Training pamphlets at registration today marks the first outward move against U.M.T. by a group of students actively opposing all compulsory military training as "detrimental to world peace."

The group of 11 men, which will apply to Dean Watson today for an official University charter, is the newly-formed Peace Council. The members plan to "fight U.M.T. here, if the bill hasn't been passed by the time we get out charter." According to co-chairman David Drake '53, the group will "sponsor peace programs urging political negotiations in the United Nations and economic reconstruction in backward areas of the world now in danger of turning communist."

Drake and three other undergraduates are members of the Greater Boston Students against U.M.T. Henry J. Cadbury, Hollis Professor of Divinity, and Pitirim A Sorokin, Professor of Sociology, are among the faculty sponsors of this organization.

Drake said that the group is concentrating efforts on contacting men "influential in government" in an attempt to help it fight U.M.T.

"Now," said Drake, "we just have the beginnings of a movement. We need money and volunteers." The group has had one meeting so far, described as "unsuccessful as it came at the beginning of exam period."