Swimmers Top Lions, 68-16

For the second time in as many weeks, the Crimson swimmers' fast stroking freestyle quarter smashed its own record in the 400 yard relay to help the varsity down Columbia, 68 to 16, in Saturday's meet at the Indoor Athletic Building.

The varsity's margin would have been even larger had not Ulen, pointing for the record, saved his best free-stylers to rest them for the relay. As it was, the Crimson took first in nine of ten events.

In the only event where the Crimson allowed a Lion to finish first, Dick Au water (third from bottom above) showed fine back-stroke form to win the 150-yard individual medley in 1:39.8. Mary Sandler and Charlie Egan finished second and third for the Crimson.

The proven combination of John McNamara, Ron Huebech, John Millard, and Dave Hedberg finished the meet by doing the freestyle relay in 3:32.4, breaking its own record of 3:32.8, set two weeks ago against Army.

Score Other Wins

Millard and McNamara each turned in a win earlier in the evening, Millard taking the 220 freestyle in 2:19.2, and McNamara edging out teammate Jim Buffington to win the 50 yard sprint in 23.8.

The Crimson's two fancy dive entries, Larry Kelley and Bob Smails, took first and second place in that order in the low-board event.

Another one-two combination was Phil Pratt and Captain Bob Stroud, who finished that way in the 100 yard free style.

In the 200 yard back and breast stroke races, Don Mulvey and Ralph Zani, respectively, had no trouble pulling away from Lion competition. There was a question for a while that the men from New York would be able to finish either event. Mulvey back paddled the eight laps in 2:18.5, while Zani turned in a 2:29.7 for his event. Hugh Hartwell was second in the backstroke, Ken Emerson in the breaststroke.

Outside of the record-breaking final relay, the evening's most exciting race was the 440-yard free-style swim, in which Dick Fouquet managed to pull out early, keep just ahead of Columbia's big John Wuorinen, and win in 5:12.6.

In a topsy-turvey meet at Hanover, the Yardlings defeated Dartmouth's freshmen, 43 to 41. Captain Al Rapperport won the 200-yard backstroke and was on the winning 300-yard relay team. Whatley won the 220 freestyle, but was upset by teammate Charlie Cook in the 440.