Bender Requests Students Answer Inter-College Poll

Dean Bender this weekend will ask one-eighth of the undergraduate body to cooperate in a nation-wide college poll evaluating the impact of today's conditions on the role of higher education. Questionnaires will be distributed Wednesday.

A secondary purpose of the poll will be to find what effect manpower mobilization will have on college students. This will be the first extensive poll taken here on this subject.

Sponsored by the Carnegie Corporation, the study will reach 5,000 men selected from 11 universities. Cornell, Dartmouth. Fiske, Michigan, North Carolina, Texas, the University of California, Wayne, Wesleyan, and Yale will also participate.

A wide range of topics will be covered on the questionnaires. including career plans and vocational training, attitudes related to the person's conception of a college education, views on important contemporary problems, world affairs, and religion. It will consist of about 30 pages which will take three-quarters of an hour to complete.

The Coruell Social Science Research Center, which conducted an earlier study of the same subject on its campus in 1950, will coordinate the information.