Visiting London Editor Describes British Interest in U.S. Elections

"The British people are becoming vitally interested in the American political situation as the presidential campaign progresses," Richard L. Reid of the London News-Chronicle stated in an interview here yesterday.

Reid, features editor of the London Liberal newspaper, is winding up a three-month visit to the United States under a Smith-Mundt fellowship. He refused to comment, however, on which candidate he thought the English people would favor.

"It's really none of my business to come over here and make statements on such controversial issues," Reid said. "Most of the British people actually are not familiar with the candidates, anyway, except for General Eisenhower."

No Fears on Foreign Relations

Reid also said he had no worries about the future state of Anglo-American relations. "The history of Britain's affairs with America has shown that both countries have come to realize that they have to get along with each other," Reid said. "That's especially true in the current world situation." He indicated that he thought Britain's role could only be that of a buffer force between the temperaments of Russia and this country.

He says the major problem facing America is to realize that it has been dumped into the position of number-one power in the free world. "You know all the facts," he states, "but you're still groping your way around. Now that you're in this position, you also have to realize you'll get all the insults and nasty insinuations we had to take while we were in the lead."