Press Refuses Printing Of 'Obscene' Advocate

Declares Magazine's Morals Substandard

By Philip M. Cronin

Because of "obscene and sub-standard" material in the last two issues of the Harvard Advocate, the Warren Press has decided to discontinue printing the magazine unless it is "brought up to our standards."

Raymond Beecroft, general manager of the Warren Press, said he objected to material "which seemed to be substandard as far as morals are concerned" in the March issue, the first the company has handled. The firm does mainly religious work for the Adventist Christian Denomination with some outside commercial work.

Beecroft stated that one of the things he objected to was an advertisement entitled "There Is No God." He felt three other articles in the magazine were "obscene."

"I told them that if they would bring the magazine up to our standards, we would continue printing the magazine," Beecroft said.

But articles for the recent Advocate were just as bad, according to Beecroft. "I was quite amazed that material like this would come out of Harvard," he held.

Will Print Next Issue

According to employees, the company will set the type and print the cover for the 1,000 ordered copies of the 23 page April issue, but another Boston firm will do the actual printing, so that the issue will appear on time Friday.

One printer said that "some of the material in the issue is much too 'Tobacco Roadish' for our tastes. Because we are a religious publishing house, we just couldn't handle the magazine."

George A. Kelly '53, president of the Advocate, said that the present issue will appear on schedule. "I don't know what the immediate grounds for dissension between us are, but I know that the printer was dissatisfied with some things in the issue," Kelly stated.

Kelly did not know whether the Advocate would continue using the firm or not. Besides material for the Adventist Christian Publication Society, the company prints class reports, the Harvard Album, and the Red Book. Exam Schedules Exam Group  Final Exam I  June  6 II  June  3 III  June  9 IV  June  5 V  May  29 VI  May  26 VII  June  10 VIII  June  4 IX  June  10 X  May  28 XI  June  2 XII  June  7 XIII  May  31 XIV  May  27 XV  May  28 XVI  June  4 XVII  June  6 XVIII  May  26