English Dept. Promotes 4 to Assistant Post

Four instructors have been appointed to the rank of assistant professor of English, effective July 1. Provost Buck announced yesterday.

They are John M. Bullit '43, Robert H. Chapman, Edwin Honig, and Edgar F. Shannon.

Honig will become a Briggs-Copeland Assistant Professor of English Composition. The Briggs-Copeland appointments which honor two of the University's most famous teachers of English, LeBaron Briggs and Charles T. Copeland, enable young writers to divide their time between creative writing and teaching. Honig, an instructor in English since 1949, is poetry editor of the New Mexico Quarterly.

Bullitt, whose special field is the study of eighteenth century English literature, has been an instructor in English and General Education.

Chapman is co-author of "Billy Budd," the theatrical adaptation of Herman Melville's novel which has been staged in New York and most recently at the Brattle Theatre. He has been an instructor in English since 1950.

Shannon is author of a book on Tennyson which will be published in the fall, by the University Press. Shannon, also an instructor since 1950, is currently at work on a study of Tennyson's literary reputation.