Penn's 150 Varsity Edges Crimson in EARC Regatta

By Erik Amfitheatrof

Rowing the entire mile and five-sixteenths at the very high stroke of 34 and closing with a final sprint, the Penn varsity lightweight boat nipped Harvard by two seconds to win the Joseph Wright Trophy in the E.A.R.C. regatta Saturday at Princeton.

In other divisions of the E.A.R.C. competition, the Junior Varsity finished an unbeaten season with a win over Yale by a full four lengths, in a time of 7:02. The freshman boat lost out in the morning beats, and the Princeton boat went on to win in the afternoon over M.I.T.

Varsity Nips Ells, Tigers

The varsity, which outrowed Yale and Princeton a week before to take the Goldthwait Cup, repeated that performance. Yale was third by three-and-one-half lengths, and Princeton finished last, two lengths behind Yale.

Eight boats raced in the morning heats and the Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and M.I.T. varsity boats were eliminated. Harvard won the second heat over Yale rowing at an easy 31.

Columbia and Princeton were eliminated in the junior varsity heats. It the afternoon final, M.I.T. finished third behind Harvard and Yale, with Cornell in last place.

The junior varsity, stroked by Lowell Laporte, won easily, keeping the count down to 31 1/2 during most of the race. Because of their undefeated record, all eight men and the cox of the jayvee boat win will be awarded minor letters.

In the afternoon race, the Yale and Cornell freshmen finished third and fourth behind Princeton and Tech.