Tennis Team Defeats Yale Squad, 14 to 1

Squad at New Haven Scores 1st Win Over Elis Since 1937

It took 15 years but the varsity tennis team finally beat Yale yesterday, 14 to 1, at New Haven. Coach Jack Barnaby's squad, which now has a record of ten victories in its last 12 matches, looked during this one like the best Harvard tennis team in the last decade and certainly the best in New England this year.

The varsity won every match yesterday except at fifth singles. Captain Charlie Ufford, John Rauh. Art French, Don Bossart, and Bill Goodman, all won in both singles and doubles.

Ufford Tops Schwartz

Ufford playing number one beat Yale captain Al Schwartz in a three-set match, but Rauh, French, and Gene Mann all won in two sets. In the fifth match, Dave Selfer beat Watts, 7-5, 6-1, for the only Eli victory. Bossart at six took the next match for the Crimson in two sets, and Gerry Murphy at seven defeated his opponent, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4. Bill Goodman, Steve Sonnabend, and Terry King all won in straight sets in the eighth, ninth, and tenth spots respectively.

In doubles, Ufford and Bill Goodman playing first and French and Watts in second scored 6-2, 6-4 and 6-4, 7-5 victories. Yale put up stiffer opposition in the last three doubles, however, holding Rauh and Bossart. Herb Stone and Mike Ward, and Donn Spencer and Frank Goodman to three-set wins.

Yardlings Lose, 7-2

Yale turned the tables on the Yardling team, however, and won, 7 to 2. The only Crimson winners were Bill Wister and Mike Levinson playing second doubles and Geoff Ball and Dan Mayers playing third.