Lacrosse Team Bows, 12-3, To Far Superior Yale Ten

By Hiller B. Zobel

NEW HAVEN, May 17-Yale's fine lacrosse team slammed the lid on a disappointing Harvard season today, routing the Crimson, 12 to 3, before 250 fans at Lapham Field here.

A bru'al first period settled this game almost before it started.. Yale counted six times in those first 15 minutes, four of the goals coming on extra-man plays. The Crimson tightened thereafter, but the true measure of the Elis' superiority was revealed by Harvard's liability to score until the fourth period..

By that time, though, Yale had piled up a 9 to 0 lead, thanks to an all-out, aggressive style of play that left the Crimson behind physically as well as statistically. The Blues just ran harder, and that was it.

A superb effort, particularly by goalie Dick Thomas, did hold the Elis scoreless in the second period. But the Crimson was unable to press an attack either, and the 1952 season, which had started off so brilliantly, consequently ended on a slightly off-note.

Bob Baldwin's sharp shot finished a good carry-around play--and broke the shutout, too--at 2:10 of the last period. After Yale had matched this tally and added another, Laurie Otis batted the ball in from in front after Ed Curtis had set him up. Yale got one last goal, before Bab Larsen closed out the scoring with a fine side shot. Curtis assisted on this one, too.

With remarkable coordination and surprising defense work, the freshman lacrosse team upset a favored Governor Dummer team, 12 to 4. Fine shooting by Jim Dorsey, who tallied for six goals, and Tim Anderson, who scored two, aided the Yardlings.