Law School Purchases Everett Street Building

Rooming House Off Harkness Will Accommodate Placement Office, Other Law Agencies

Law School officials last night announced the acquisition next month of a new building just north of Harkness Common. It will house the Student Placement Office and other administrative activities.

Preliminary contracts have already been signed by the University for the three-story wood frame structure at 23 Everett Street, and the final transfer of ownership is to take place on June 12.

Dean Louis A. Toepfer, Director of Admissions in the Law School, said last night that the Placement Office is scheduled to move into its new quarters before the start of the fall term, but did not reveal what other groups will share the space.

The admissions and placement office is presently housed in Kendall Hall, west of Langdell on Massachusetts Avenue, next to the Chancery Club. Speculation has it that the buildings in this area may eventually be torn down to make room for a World School of Law building.

Dean Griswold could not be reached yesterday for comment on the purchase of the Everett Street property or on long range Law School expansion.

Now serving as a rooming house, the yellow wooden building, which is located next door to Lesley College, has space for an estimated 15 offices.

The purchase of the Everett Street property represents the Law School's first expansion since the building of the New Graduate Center.