Varsity Tennis Team Beats Army; Freshmen Lose Twice to Exonians

Sporting a winning streak of nine straight matches since the beginning of Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis Association play, the varsity tennis team returned to Cambridge today to play North Carolina at Soldiers Field at about 2:30 p.m. Yesterday the squad trounced Army, 8 to 1, at West Point for its third victory against no defeats in the E.I.T.A.

North Carolina today is expected to present the varsity its second toughest opposition this spring. Only Princeton, which the Crimson meets Saturday, rates as a bigger powerhouse than the southern school on the varsity's 1952 schedule. North Carolina has already defeated the Crimson twice, during its spring vacation southern trip.

Coach Jack Barnaby has hopes, however, of upsetting the Tarheels. Last years on the Crimson courts, the southerners won by only 6 to 3. The greatly improved varsity squad this year should make it an even closer match. Barnaby's team has already upset one southern school, Davidson, here earlier this week, avenging the two losses on the South Carolina school's courts during the southern trip.

At Army yesterday, the Crimson won every match except the fifth singles, though John Rauh and Gene Mann playing two and four had trouble winning their matches in three sets. Captain Charlie Ufford at one, Art French at three, and Don Bossart at six all won in two sets.

Yardlings Lose

The freshman squad, playing at Exeter yesterday, lost both its 'A' and 'B' matches. Bill Wister and Bob Crouch won at fifth and sixth singles, with Mike Levinson and Wister and Geoff Ball and Dan Mayers taking the second and third doubles for the only Yardling victories in the 'A' contest which ended, 5 to 4, for Exeter. The 'B' score was 5 to 3.