BRAHMINS' CHOICE

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I should like to make a few comments on the suggestions which have appeared in the Crimson Mailbox to date concerning the replacement of President Conant. Both men suggested, Mr. Stevenson and Mr. Bunche, are great Americans and it would be an honor for the University to have them in the capacity of its President. However, I'm sure that they would both agree that this is not where they may best serve themselves and the world. Mr. Bunche has already indicated as much in his reluctant refusal of the Professorship which was offered him several years ago. As for Mr. Stevenson, he is far too dynamic a force in the political life of the United States today for him ever to be willing to limit himself to the confines of the Harvard horizon. I think that Harvard needs and deserves a full-time President. Our sister universities in New York and Philadelphia might add a hearty amen to that.

Somehow the Brahmins of Beacon Hill who run this place seem to have been particularly adept at picking Presidents in the past; why not give them another chance? H. E. Heinemann '53