LATIN AMERICAN LACK

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Your recent editorial pointing out the lack of courses in the Latin American area is, unfortunately, quite true. The general lack of awareness of this area, especially in the Department of Government, is something for which the undergraduate interested in the area must suffer. Although the number of students attracted by Latin America is perhaps limited, it is sufficient to deserve recognition such as it now lacks.

It is a natural tendency in these times to shrug off Latin affairs and foreign relations as a minor, relatively obscure section of world politics. It is this very attitude which helps to increase the sluggish, lackadaisical concern with the area. Of Course there are world sections undergoing much more crucial developments. Nonetheless, the anti-Yankee campaigns of Peron, the nationalization of many industries, notably in Bolivia and Venezuela, and the infiltration of Communism are not developments to be treated lightly. And although Latin America is not generally considered a dangerous section, the Far East was in the same category but a few short years ago.

The history courses offered are not meant to be underrated; however, a non-history concentrator finds it difficult to take several, somewhat localized history courses in addition to the requirements demanded elsewhere. Certainly a General Education course such as that suggested or, better still, a course offered by the Department of Government, would be a noteworthy and, I believe, a necessary addition. John D. Martz III '55

The CRIMSON welcomes expression of reader opinion in its Mailbox column. Last year, over 100 letters were printed, ranging from criticisms of the Boston Symphony Orchestra to poems about Radcliffe girls to impassioned defenses of Richard M. Nixon. Letters should be under 400 words, and the editors reserve the right to abridge them if space limitations make this necessary. No changes in context will be made, however. All letters must be signed but names can be witheld by request.