Crime's Bit in Starting House System Remembered by Editor of This Week

The important thing about the CRIMSON, I suppose, is that it makes each administration want to add something to what has gone before. In our time we were very conscious of this stimulus, and I hope we passed it on.

It was during this period, as I recall, that both the photographic section and the book section were organized in tabloid form, thus giving a fine professional appearance.

Our opening issue in the fall of 1925 launched the first "Confidential Guide to College Courses," which has I understand, become a continuing feature.

But the principal contribution of that period was the part played by the CRIMSON in launching the House Plan. That was very much the achievement of Ed Aswell, then Editorial Chairman, now Editor-in-Chief of the book publishing side of McGraw-Hill. Having conceived the ides. Aswell organized a Student Council Committee on Education which proposed it in report form. Then, of course, the CRIMSON went all out in support. All of which commotion came to the attention of Mr. Edward S. Harkness and led to his initial donation. The power of the press!

Also during our time that notable homme du monde, Lucius Beebe arrived in a cloud of dust, straight from the Dean's Office is New Haven and settled down cheerfully as a CRIMSON staff writer. The results were far too numerous to mention. Among them a proposal (greatly applauded at the time) to trade President Lowell and three full professors for a good running backfield, and a shattering expose of Kate Douglas Wiggin for plagiarism. William I. Nichols '26   (Editor--This Week Magazine)