Charities to Use New Pledge Cards

Pledge cards will replace the term bill slip for deferred contributions to the 1953 Combined Charities Drive, Committee Co-Chairmen Kirby Von Kessler '54 and Robert C. Terry, Jr. '54 reported yesterday.

A decision last spring by Administrative Vice-President Edward R. Reynolds, Provost Buck, and the Deans to revert to a 1940 Corporation rule prohibiting the use of the term bill charging privilege by student organizations necessitated the change. The Corporation ruling had been relaxed since the war for solicitations by the Student Council and the Combined Charities Committee.

Under plans currently being drawn up by the Committee chairmen, donors to the Nov. 2-6 drive will pay by cash or check or else sign a pledge card. At that point last year when a term bill charge was used instead of the pledge, the work of the Committee was practically completed.

This year, however, a large part of the job may still remain after the original solicitations. Tentative arrangements call for a reminder letter to the pledgers two weeks after the drive, followed by a re-visit by a House collector three days later.

Entry solicitors will make a final desperation call where necessary on Dec. 7, according to present drive plans.

Drive publicity, however, will encourage cash and check donations.