Crimson Runners Face Powerful Providence College Team Today

Crimson varsity and freshman cross-country teams open their fall season this afternoon against a surprisingly strong Providence College team at 3:45 p.m. in Franklin Park.

The meet figured to be a snap for the varsity until last week, when unknown Providence outran a powerful Army squad 27 to 30. Army has held the Heptagonal Title since 1946.

Providence, a newcomer to the Crimson schedule, comes north to face virtually the same team which copped the Big Three Championship last season. Only two men are missing from the line-up.

Captain Hal Gerry, who finished first in the varsity handicaps, leads a squad which includes last year's captain Emil Sansoucie and freshman captain Al Wills.

While the varsity meet appears as a toss-up, the freshmen are expected to have little trouble with their southern opponents. Coach Bill McCurdy calls the Yardlings the best team he has ever had, and that includes last year's Big Three champions. Three days ago freshman Bill Morris set a new course record in the handicaps.

The freshman squad is loaded. Top man, next to Morris, is Dave McLean, who took second in the handicaps. Jim Cairns and Dick Wharton stand high on McGurdy's list.