Varsity Soccer Team Whips Williams, 2-1, in Fall Opener

By Peter G. Palches

A pair of goals by a pair of sophomore wings gave the Crimson soccer team a 2 to 1 overtime victory over Williams Saturday before a small gathering on the Business School Field.

With less than three minutes left in the second overtime, right wing Bill Lingelbach dribbled outside his opposing fullback and pumped the winning score past Williams goalie Tom Lincoln. The win, a definite upset gave Coach Bruce Munro double pleasure since it dispelled any misgivings he may have had about his untried forward line.

Godfrey Truslow, the left wing, scored the other Crimson goal at 6:45 of the third period, after taking a short pass from inside left Bobby Lloyd. Marv Weiss, a junior, playing center with a pulled leg muscle, and Stacy Holmes, right inside, comprised the rest of the starting line. With Alex Haegler leaving his center half post to Weiss on occasion, and moving into the line, the Crimson has a smooth, fast-working, well-coordinated combination.

Ephmen Tie Score

The sole goal by the Ephmen came at 11:23 of the third period off the toe of center forward Dave Cunningham. He was less than 15 feet from goalie Pete Briggs, who managed to get his hands on the ball, but lost it over his shoulder.

That was the only really tough shot Briggs had to handle. Fullbacks Charlie Platt, Ed Jacobsen, and Juan Rodriguez had excellent support from the halfbacks and even from the forward line, as they successfully thwarted the Williams attack.

Bob Dean and Rusty MacIntosh both played the entire game at halfback. Dean was exceptionally good defensively, although a few of his kicks to his wing went wild early in the game. MacIntosh played a fast game, but he, too, wasn't at his best and lost his feet several times. Denny Little, subbing for Haegler, couldn't get his head anywhere near the ball for most of the regulation play, but his work sparked the team in overtime.

Like the Crimson, Williams did not have any outstanding fullbacks. On several occasions Holmes and Lloyd had maneuvered into the clear very near the cage and could have tallied easily had the passing been a little sharper.

For an opening game, however, the passing was sharper than might have been expected.

Freshmen Down Tabor

The freshman soccer team unleashed a barrage of four goals in an overtime period to defeat Tabor Academy 5 to 1, after high-scorer Ed Burlingame evened the tally one-all near the end of the fourth quarter. Both teams repeatedly missed goals until Tabor broke the scoreless deadlock in the third period with a short boot into the corner of the Crimson not.