Crimson Harriers Take Strong 12th In Cross Country

Crimson captain Hal Gerry was the first Ivy Leaguer to finish in the IG4A championship cross country run at Van Cortlandt Park, N. Y., yesterday. Running 14th, he led the varsity to 12th place in team standings, three notches higher than last year.

John Kelley of Boston University was the first to cover the five-mile course, beating Villanova's John Joe Barry, Penn State's Bob Hollen, and Syracuse's Ray Osterhout. Kelley's time was 24:51.7. Gerry's was 26 minutes flat.

Michigan State, which copped the Big Ten title last week, was the winning team, barely edging a surprising Pittsburgh septet, 82 to 84. Cornell, the top Ivy League team, placed fifth with 147 points, Yale was 11th with 309, and the Crimson 12th with 316. Princeton, with 608 points, was the last of the 22 teams to finish.

In this race the Crimson avenged their only dual meet loss of the season as the University of Massachusetts finished 14th. Also Gerry defeated by two places Cornell's John Rosenbaum, who had beaten him by a few strides in the Heptagonals last week.

Emil San Soucie was the second varsity runner to finish. He placed 68th with a time of 27:26. Hubie Maguire, who, like Gerry and San Soucie, was running his last cross country race for the Crimson, finished 77th eleven seconds later.

Frank Nahigian at 27:43 and Jerry Whatmough at 28:42 were the other members of the varsity to score as they placed 82nd and 124th respectively. Don French, who took a surprising third in the Heptagonals last week for the Crimson, was stricken ill the night before the race. He kept up with the leaders for the first mile but then had to drop back to finish 135th. Had he been well, the varsity might have been among the first ten teams.