Amherst Defeats Local Soccer Men 3-0 on Saturday

Amherst's soccer team shot to an early load against the varsity on Saturday to defeat the Crimson 3-0.

The Crimson played aggressive soccer throughout the game. Alex Haegler and Bill Lingelbach led the offense, which took a total of 23 shots but failed to score against the excellent Lord Jeff defense.

Little scored the first goal for Amherst at the five minute mark of the first quarter and Freeman added the second score less than three minutes later.

At this point Bruce Munro switched goalies, sending in sophomore Lindsay Fischer. Fischer made three excellent saves during his brief four-minute stay in the game, but suffered a head concussion and had to leave the position to Pete Briggs.

Seward made the final goal for Amherst at 4:30 of the third quarter. From then on, Munro substituted freely, putting in everyone who made the trip.

Hugh Sargent played a considerable part of the game at fullback. Sargent is Munro's biggest fullback and has one of the longest kicks on the team. Juan Rodrignez played his usual excellent game at the other fullback position. Meanwhile, the freshman squad made two goals in the first period to defeat Andover 2-0 here. James Polese scored both '57 goals.

Amherst is the second Little Three team to defeat the Crimson this year. Wesleyan won 2 to 1, but the Crimson took Williams 2 to 1. The first of the Big Three games is this Saturday, when Princeton meets the varsity on the Business School Field at 10:30 a.m.

Four games remain including Princeton. The season closes on November 20 with Yale at New Haven.