Jordan Faces Replacements, Possible Formation Changes

By Richard A. Burgheim

That a coach should grimly state, "I've got a lot of thinking to do," just a few minutes after winning one of his easiest victories in 22 years is unusual-but not unjustified in the case of Lloyd Jordan:

The question in his mind concern what men and what formations will be used for the remaining games on the schedule which Jordan called "three nice ones." The big problem is to find a replacement for quarterback Bob Hardy, who fractured his elbow on the second play of Davidson game and will be out for the rest of the season.

Eight minutes later, Dick Clasby left the contest with a shoulder bruise, to present Jordan with another dilemma. It is not to find a substitute for the captain for he is expected to be back in action this week-but rather how to work his replacement, Carroll Lowenstein, into the lineup as well.

When Lowenstein entered the game in the ninth minute it was scoreless; and when he left it after four minutes of the fourth quarter it was 42-6 with the mighty mite almost entirely to blame.

Choice of Quarterbacks

For Jordan there are a million solutions, and it's anybody's guess as to what is the right one. He said that Joe Coznelman "did a good job" at quarterback, and then there is Jerry Marsh, who was not dressed Saturday and about whom Jordan stated, "if his leg will held up, it will be a big help." But both are juniors, and neither has as yet shown the blocking and line backing brilliance of Hardy.

On the other hand, he might switch to a "T" or an "A" with Lowenstein at quarter, John Culver at fullback, and Brian Reynolds, and Clasby at the halves. It is awfully late in the season for this drastic plan, however.

And there are just a few of Jordan's alternatives; yet if he is uncertain about the means, there is no doubt in his mind about the end. If one wouldn't want to be. in Lloyd Jordan's shoes this week, then Charley Caldwell's would be, if anything, less comfortable.

Princeton scouts at the game Saturday saw a terrible mis-match and got a look at every player on the Crimson squad. Local football fans saw a mis-match in the offing and chose not to see it at all.

An estimated 8,400 spectators-some paying-watched Lowenstein play what Davidson Coach Bill Dole called "phenomenal football." He threw eight perfect passes out of nine, six of which were caught, five for touchdowns. The other Crimson TD he ran for, and his punting left little to be desired. His offense produced a total of 278 of the varsity's 477 yards.

First Run by Lowenstein

An eight-yard run by Lowenstein started the afternoon's scoring at 13:46 of the first quarter. Only sloppy ball prevented the Crimson from tallying earlier against the hapless Wildcats. Then, eight minutes later, Lowenstein picked out Dexter Lewis with the same sharp eye that he employs on "Hoover Specials" for a 63-yard scoring play, 29 of it through the air.

The third touchdown came shortly thereafter on a pass to Culver that ate up 55 yards. Culver, by the way, averaged 5.5 yards per carry and is 'a much better ball player than last year," according to the Davidson coach. With a minute left in the half, the Wildcats finally tallied on a long throw from Bill Rowland to Jim Thacker, whom the Crimson was able to bottle the rest of the afternoon. The half-time score was 21 to 6.

Two more Lowenstein passes paid off in the third quarter, one to Bill Weber and another to Dexter Lewis. Everybody was happy to see the end go over, because he played excellent defensive ball all day-and all season, for that matter.

The last score came on a toss to Frank White at the beginning of the fourth quarter. The Crimson converted after all six of its scores, with Joe Ross booting four, Lowenstein one, and Bill Frate one.

After White's score, the crowd, which had seen the Bank kick off the Blood Drive before the game, watched Brian Reynolds open the Combined Charities campaign with a series of quick kicks.Fullback JOHN CULVER, (34), running like a halfback on this play, breaks away from Davidson tacklers for a 30 yard gain in the third quarter of Saturday's game.