Clasby, Culver Finish High In Individual Ivy Records

Ivy Group statistics released last night proved the utility of the varsity's two top backs, Dick Clasby and John Culver.

The Crimson varsity, which finished second in the Ivy Group with a three won, two lost record, depended heavily upon these versatile backs, both of whom went all the way when healthy.

Both Clasby and Culver were handicapped by the Crimson's eight-game schedule. All other Ivy Group colleges played nine games.

Culver Second to Smith

Culver finished second in rushing to Homer Smith of Princeton, who rang up 563 yards in 135 tries, for a 4.2 average. The Crimson fullback piled up 558 yards in 114 attempts, a 4.9 average. Culver would have won the rushing championship if he could have played another game at this rate.

Clasby, handicapped by injuries and the shorter schedule, finished third in total offense, behind Columbia's Dick Carr and Princeton's Royce Flippin.

Carr, primarily a passer, totaled 1367 yards in the air, but a minus 105 yards rushing cut his leading total to 1262 yards. Flippin compiled 548 yards running and 555 yards passing for a 1103 total.

Playing two less games and just nine minutes of a third, Clasby ran for 370 yards and passed for 378 more.

Clasby Leads Punters

The Crimson captain leads in another department, punting, with a 41 yard average for 30 kicks. Walt Hynoski of Pennsylvania, second behind Clasby with 40.4, has one more game to play, with Cornell, tomorrow.

As for team statistics, the Crimson showed good balance by finishing second in offense and third in defense. Princeton was offensive leader and Yale defensive champion, but the Tigers were fifth and the Elis fourth in their other departments.

The Tigers, held to but one touchdown by the varsity, were easily tops on offense, running up 1495 yards by rushing and 1124 more through the air for a total of 2619 yards. Princeton also led in yards per game, with a 291 average.

The Crimson finished as far ahead of the third place team, Dartmouth, as Princeton outdistanced it. Varsity totals were 1389 yards rushing and 815 passing.

Yale Has Best Defense

Yale had the strongest defense, holding opponents to 195 yards per game, far ahead of Brown's record of 242 and the Crimson's 245.

In other departments, Carr led in passing yardage with 1367 in 191 attempts, but Flippin had the highest average of completions, 58.1 per cent.

Bob Mercier of Columbia leads the still undecided scoring race with nine touchdowns for 54 points, ahead of Tommy Thompson of Brown, who has 49 points with one more game to play.

Statistics on team scoring show that Dartmouth has the highest scoring offense and the loosest defense. In nine games the Indians have scored 172 points and allowed their opponents to tally 219.

Second to the Indians in total scoring with 146 points in eight games, the Crimson allowed 78 points, the fewest by any Ivy Group team. Yale, playing one more game, permitted only 83 points.