Varsity Soccer Team Loses To Princeton in Mud, 2 to 0

By Peter G. Palches

Saturday rain, driven by gale winds, turned the Business School Field into a sloppy sea of mud, through which the Princeton Tigers waded to a 2 to 0 victory over the varsity soccer team.

The teams might just as well have played water polo. There were huge puddles an front of both goals. The players and most of the spectators were as soaked as the two sophomores who swam across the Charles with a goal post.

Princeton scored its first goal late in the first period. Nick Cordero put the ball past Crimson goalie Pete Briggs, hard put to keep a footing in the muddy mouth of the goal. The Tigers hung the game up to dry midway through the final period when Phil Januszkiewicz got the second and concluding score.

Both Briggs and Princeton goalie Nick Angell came out of the game looking like dripping chimney-sweeps. Briggs played a terrific game, frequently diving head-long into the mire to take goals off the toes of the Princeton forwards. On one save, he knocked one of the uprights askew with his shoulder.

The Crimson forward line suffered from its season-long inability to shoot. Center halfback Stacy Holmes came as close as anyone with a shot he took from the midfield stripe. It was a tremendous boot, even though the ball was as sodden as the field and weighed twice as much as usual.

Alex Haegler made a beautiful solo dash from midfield in the final quarter, outdistancing three defenders and barely missing a shot which would have tied the game.

Defensively, starting fullback Hug Sargent played an excellent game. Bob Dean, Rusty MacIntosh, Juan Rodrigues, and substitute halfback Steve Szaras also bolstered the defense.

Crimson coach Bruce Munro was restricted in use of substitutes. Princeton brought a small squad and invoked the usually-suspended limited replacement rule.